Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Why do we work?

My boss came back from a 5 day long weekend and said to me, "I come to work to find peace." I marveled. The whole time that she was gone (and much of the time before she left) I was having panic attacks, moments where I was begging the world to create a drug that not only cures physical pain but mental and spiritual anguish. If you asked me where I go to find peace, I'd say nowhere.

She went on to explain how, when she arrives at home, it's "Mommy, where's this" or "Honey, I can't find that." I don't really have much in the way of those troubles. My husband and I are two adults who pretty much know where everything is and very rarely actually need to ask about where things are or who's making dinner.

All of this led me to try and figure out why do I (we) come to work. Here's what I could come up with.

1. Money- Money makes the world go around...that clinking clanking sound can make the world go 'round.

We work so that we can provide; whether it's for ourselves or our family. We need money to pay for food, shelter, clothing, transportation, etc. Money, for many people (not all), directly relates to our level of happiness. If we have a lot of money, we are happy. If we have very little money, we are sad.

2. For something to do...

I think this happens because, for some, staying at home is boring after a while. Sure, we all imagine what it would be like to stay at home. To not have to work or do anything. In the end, I think it would become boring and you'd be begging for something to do. I have never met anyone who could do the same thing, day in and day out, without any change or variation to their routine. Doing the same thing every day (even if it's sitting at home) can be really really boring. In some cases, it can get very old, very quickly.

3. Status...

We like to think that we don't look down at people but, let's be honest. If a person doesn't have a job (traditional or non-traditional) and it's a year later, we may be a little judgmental towards that person. (Disclaimer: This does not include Stay At Home Mom's, etc. who have a job that I sometimes feel is more difficult and frustrating than my own.)

I fall mainly in category #1. Money rules my life. When I get a raise, I am immediately happy. That money is going to increase my savings or to pay off debt. When I lack money, I am sad. When I have money, I act like I have no cares in the world (not a single one...not even world hunger.) But, there comes a point where, whether you have money or not, it does not matter.

I actually had my performance review while I was out sick due to blood clot. My boss, who apologized profusely for calling me at home, awarded me with an "Exceeded Expectations" and a raise. I didn't even really care. I had been going to my job, doing my work, coming home and feeling like I had been drained with no life energy left to give.

Don't get me wrong. The job market sucks. I am glad to have a job. And as much as I joke, I do enjoy helping those through teaching. I know that I have the potential to help people to change their circumstance and help them open doors that were, at one time, locked and bolted shut.

But if I'm truly honest with myself, I work for the money, not the prestige or satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment