Monday, March 30, 2009

Faults.

As an educator, trainer, and all around life-long learner, it's hard for me to admit that I make mistakes. It's even harder because I pride myself on being a good teacher and learner. So today, in training I had to take a step back and ask myself (and the person running the training) some tough questions.

We have the great pleasure of having 15 Dell computers (serviced by yours truly) that are all outfitted with Novanet, an educational software used in many public school systems and correctional facilities. It's main use is for assessments of students in the facility. It's secondary use is to help those students in different areas of study based off of a specialized GED curriculum.

We reviewed our uses for the lab (which we've had for almost two years) and took an in depth look at some of the sections, including one of mine, aptly labeled "Pre-GED Mathematics with Ms. L." A huge mistake that I had made was, of course, prominent and a great way for the trainer to talk about some changes that may need to be implimented. The software allows for students to take a pre-test, get assigned a prescription of work based off of the pre-test and then take a post-test (to see if they learned anything). One student received an 87 on the pre-test and was assigned some prescriptive work. However, the trainer thought it would have been better to that students learning to just manually move them on through. Of course, he was right. It was hard for me to admit my mistake.

Instead, I just asked questions, making sure I understood what my priorities were...shifted around in my seat and tried not to look like I was on the defensive.

There are no perfect teachers. We are not designed like Burger King where each student can have their education as they want it (or, more importantly, as they need it). And, although I have my faults, I think the bigger fault would have been if I didn't care to listen, review and try to learn from those around me to be a better teacher.

Nobody is perfect.

Nobody.

No comments:

Post a Comment